[OM] Re: Japan

Subject: [OM] Re: Japan
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:07:22 -0800
jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Tourism for the Japanese seems to be about being at the place rather than
>anything else. You can buy a card with all the temples on it, go to the
>temple and get the box stamped and then leave... (NO I did not do this
>when I worked out there!)

Hasn't changed much then. I was in Japan in 1960. We thought it was a
riot watching the Japanese tour groups at shrines, etc. They would come
along at a dog trot following a guide carrying a little flag. They would
circle close to the guide at each stop, listen intently to a brief
spiel, say "Ah so" in unison, then raise their cameras in unison to take
a pic. Then they were off to the races again.

It was all very amusing to an American teenager at the time. Now, just a
few years later  :-) , I would be less amused than interested in how
great the cultural differences are.

> I felt simular attitude in China. Organised
>Chinese tours are terribly fast. You don't get time to focus before they
>move on....

AF...

Moose