[OM] Re: Japan

Subject: [OM] Re: Japan
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:14:03 -0800
It sounds like you are describing some sort of regimented behavior. It
was nothing like that when I was there. The most organized were the
groups of school children and they were just like kids anywhere except
a little better behaved. Tour group guides still carry something to
allow themselves to be spotted by their members in a crowd. Ours used a
furled orange umbrella. Members of the tour tend to gather around the
guide when an explanation is offered whether Japanese or American. When
offering you a service they are very focused and attentive, but the
Japanese that engaged to be quite relaxed and comfortable with
themselves whether engaging you in a a casual conversation or young
couples hand in hand on dates visiting the sights.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA