[OM] Re: Multiple Flash/Studio Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Multiple Flash/Studio Flash
From: "Alan Barrow" <pinzgauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 23:25:02 -0500
Chuck writes:
> And the T-32 is a powerful flash.  Others have recommended either the
> Vivitar 285 or various Sunpak units becasue of their flexible power
> controls.  I can't disagree with that as I also own some Sunpak and
> Vivitar units.  However, the T-32 is a much more powerful flash than a
> Vivitar 285 or Sunpak 383.  These flash units have similar guide numbers
> to the T-32 but their guide numbers are often quoted assuming an angle
> of coverage equal to either a 50mm lens or, at best, a 35mm lens.  The
> T-32's guide number is for 24mm coverage.

Interesting, as the quoted specs for the T-32 do not seem to follow. They show
having to use the zoom adapter with the T-32 set at 50mm coverage to achieve a
36m/118ft guide number. The Sunpak 433 is GN 120(ft) 35mm coverage with no
adapter required, and it goes up if the fresnel zoom is used.

I have not tested them side by side like you have, and the T-32 does sound
like it's wide coverage is quite good. But the published specs show the sunpak
to have the edge. (Maybe the 383 is weaker than the 433/444?)

The T-32 clearly is a more elegant package! I also suspect it's a bit
sturdier. The Vivitars and Sunpaks are clunky and less balanced in comparison.

In the Sunpak's favor, the 433/444 offers similar filters/zoom options as the
T-32, wider bounce range, and a high voltage jack (510v) in addition to the
internal batteries. Manual control is full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16.

But it all boiled down to economics for me at the time, as I was able to get 2
OM dedicated Sunpaks with the zoom adapter for about the price of a single
used T-32 naked. That has changed somewhat over time, and the OM dedicated
Sunpaks are harder to find. But they are quite functional and if you run
across one worth trying.

You do need the T20 Auto Connector to use it off camera with the TTL cable.
(Sunpak did make a separation cable for the "dedication" module and the main
flash for bracket usage.. I have one, but prefer to use the TTL cables.)

So it's nice to have options! I was not as impressed with the Vivitar 285.
More money, less features and some physical issue which required aftermarket
solutions.

Have fun!

Alan Barrow