[OM] Re: 10/28 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 10/28 fragment of my day
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 06:00:47 +0000
Hi Joel

No, the colours look fine; but I was interested in your processes.   I
normally leave curves alone as I am almost bound to bugger up decent
pictures!

A couple of other points: I don't think that PS does anything but offer
you advice about format when you Save for the Web; and why change to
sRGB?  Is it because you reckon that most viewers will have that set up
on their monitors?

Thanks

Chris

On 31 Oct 2004, at 1:07, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Chris,
> Sorry to nudge a bruise.  I was very impressed jp2000 when I played
> with it
> once, but I do recall a lot of overhead to the process.
>
> I've been thinking more about your original question on postprocessing
> of
> the image (which is here:  http://soli.inav.net/~jdub/day/day27.html).
> started to wonder why you asked, and then wondered if the colors are
> screwy
> on your machine, and then realized my standard processing, while
> standard
> for me, is a bit more than just cropping.  So let me itemize my post
> routine:
>
> 1) Set levels (this might have required setting the black point only)
> 2) Mess with curves (this one didn't require any messing)
> 3) Resize to c.400x600 pixels @72 dpi
> 4) "Save for web" in PS at about 50KB
> 5) Open file, change profile to sRGB, and re-save
>
> The last step makes the colors more garish on the web version in
> Photoshop.  In the various browsers it makes a better match to the
> original
> capture in PS (on my machine).
>
> Joel W.

<|_:-)_|>