[OM] Re: 10/28 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 10/28 fragment of my day
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:11:34 +0100
Joel

Yes, of course, the degree of compression varies between "quality"
levels; I was thinking of size alone.

JP2k is rather a sore point with me.  I bought PS CS partly on the
promise of integrated support for JP2k, but it takes 3 months to save a
100mb file in this format.  For some reason Adobe decided that the user
wants to control the format more closely than other formats and gives
the user a pre-save dialogue box with a preview of the effect.  It's
like the Save for the Web operation: way too complicated ...

... so I don't use it now.  I will save my files as .psd as that seems
to be smaller than a .tif file, save re-sized and re-sampled files for
web use (600 pixels, re-sampled using Bicubic Sharper) and use .jpg for
keeping a smaller file for cataloguing.  The main file will go on a CD
or DVD and, of course, I retain the negative or slide in case my drives
go kaput.

Chris

On 30 Oct 2004, at 13:58, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Chris,
> Yes indeed, SHQ is just unsquashed .jpg according to my docs.  I don't
> really know the effect of compression other than producing a smaller
> file
> by throwing stuff away, which seems like a bad thing and waste of all
> the
> capture effort.  A number of years ago I knew of a very fine
> photographer
> (who was unfortunately otherwise a pretty nasty person), who would
> archive
> all his keeper images as .jpgs at quality level 12.  That results in a
> file
> about half the size of a .TIFF or .PSD but still very large for a
> .jpg.  A
> large .jpg seems a bit like dehydrated water with some of the water
> stirred
> back in.  I sometimes save SHQ captures after postprocessing as .PSDs
> just
> because I keep thinking saving to .jpg takes the blood out of them.
>
> Are you still working with jp2000?  If so, how's it working out?
>
> Joel W.
<|_:-)_|>
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.