[OM] Re: {OT} Retired? Keep things interesting....

Subject: [OM] Re: {OT} Retired? Keep things interesting....
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:02:51 -0700
I think a good number, maybe most of the swing voters - those that don't
vote their party ticket - vote based on their pocket book. If they're worse
off they throw the incumbent out. It's far from perfect but probably more
accurate than believing what the politicians say. For decades the U.S.
economy seems to have had a boom bust cycle. Every eight years or so the
economy reaches a peak. Sometimes it's the outgoing party that benefits,
sometimes to the dismay of the incumbants its the newly elected that
benefit. I think the "Governator" came to power because of disgust with
California's electricity problems.

Ahhh a major election year ... The roads in California are in terrible
shape. It's nice that finally you can't go anywhere without finding a road
being fixed or a flood hazard being solved. Wish I could pull over to get
some photos, but I don't want a $100+ "parking ticket". Doesn't look like
all of the work is going to be completed before Novemeber though. An
unfinished overpass can provide plenty of photo opportunities for years
though.  YMMV

Scare tactics clearly have some influence. Willie Brown (a California
political king for many years) was/is an extremely skilled politician. He
never had any mud that was thrown at him really stick. In the end too many
people believed it's wrong for a politician to have that much power that
long. As I recall it took an amendment to the state constitution to dislodge
him. The people in the district he represented loved him.

-jeff