[OM] Re: Motor Drive 1

Subject: [OM] Re: Motor Drive 1
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:57:48 +0100
And as proof of my not qualfying for the 'expert' epithet, here's what
_really_ happened when I tried the "What happens at the end of the film"
test (which I thought was irrelevant to the case in point, so I kept
quiet)...

MD clutch clicks, then OM4Ti itself clicks a bit, and then locks up solid.
Hmm. Nothing from shutter release - solid.  Wind-on lever - won't move.
Shutter speed ring - same.

Switch the M15v for M18v.  No change!  Switch to a different M15v. No
change!? Switch to another MD1.  No change!?!

Switch an OM2.  Runs sweetly with everything. Curse and go to eat (before
shooting and leaving).

(Later)

Return to take lens off 4Ti, and notice a further click when I pick it up as
the mirror returns.  Leaving the focussing screen wedged in the lens throat
where it had stuck after the intense MD clutch action had dislodged it.  As
it happened, I tried the test with the lens pointing at my feet, and I never
bothered to look through the viewfinder.

New batteries in OM4T, and all is once more as it should be.  But still no
torn sprocket holes.

I have previously noticed that intense MD activity can move the focus point
of a 'loose' lens, but I need to add another hazard to my list.  As well as
not making sure that the focus screen is properly latched after switching
it.

--
Piers