[OM] Re: DSLR decision, was Watercolor/fine art paper

Subject: [OM] Re: DSLR decision, was Watercolor/fine art paper
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:42:46 -0700
on 10/19/04 10:47 AM, James Royall at james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've been trying some pretty run of the mill paper (realised the pun
> after I wrote that) from Kodak, Epsom, HP, etc. None of it the really
> textured art stuff. The trouble I'm finding is with b/w coming out
> tinted when I don't want to. If I stick to Canon paper (for a canon
> printer) all seems pretty good. The HP is a pretty good match in this
> regard.

Called, I think, metamerism if you want to do some research on the web. I
think this is because most inkjet printers use the colored inks even when
printing a B&W image. In fact, I've read that if you use -only- black ink
you get very deficient images with most inkjet printers... the real fix
seems to be using a multi-gray ink package, which usually comes with its own
drivers, and a whole different set of limitations.

I thought about trying to play with this by flushing and refilling a color
cartridge, but when I thought about it I decided it wouldn't work because
you have multiple layers of 'color' going on, replaced with different
home-brew strengths of black e.g. 5%, 10%, 20% dilutions, and they would
build up so I think the images would all be too dark. Anyone tried this just
to see...?
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...