[OM] Re: Bid names

Subject: [OM] Re: Bid names
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:06:16 -0700
Even if it's something I really need to have it is satisfying to loose out
to someone who CLEARLY REALLY NEEDS to have it. I along with probably most
of the people on the list have either passed on bidding against list members
(speculating they want it more than I) and at other times bid aggresively
against list members.

The gamemanship of yaBe is indeed part of the entertainment and enjoyment.
Looking at my own behavior anything low or moderately priced is almost
always sniped with no indication that I'm watching it. The few expensive
items I find I sometimes place early low bids, thinking that whoever wins it
is probably either pretty experienced at yaBe or consumed by Zuikoholicism
.. it probably won't make a bit of difference if there is a low bid there
or not.

I don't really understand the arguments that yaBe isn't fair to sellers. The
rules are reasonably easy to understand. When you walk onto a car dealer's
lot do you immediately tell the salesman the highest price you're willing to
pay? Do you doubt that he'll try to get you to pay more than you agreed
perhaps including protective undercoating or theft identification saying
they do it for all cars they sell? Seems that the price of almost anything
you buy is influenced by your own behavior. If you buy a sandwidch from the
same store five days a week they are likely to treat you better than if they
don't recognize you. There's nothing wrong with optimising your behavior to
make yourself have a more pleasureable life. The market place doesn't have
to be completely set up for the benefit of the seller.

-jeff
(Don't know if the feedback dealers ask for really has any impact but, I
gave the salesman top ratings and the guy completing the contract low
ratings. Salesman did what he said, contract guy thought I'd pay $250 for
paper stickers all over the car. I should have demanded he remove them ...
next time! I noticed a couple who got there just before me paid for them ...
gave away their money.)