[OM] Re: Bronica SLRs discontinued

Subject: [OM] Re: Bronica SLRs discontinued
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:08:48 -0400
Today, it really takes migration to a digital option for a MF system camera to
compete.  Look at the remaining companies with SLRs: Hasselblad, Mamiya,
Contax, and Pentax.  Hassy bought Imacon and introduced a new, SOTA camera last
year. Mamiya just introduced a completely new ZD camera and a new back + some
of the 645 taks backs too + they have a budget model.  Contax has the fabulous
and well-respected Zeiss lenses and the superb 645, which all the big 3rd party
backs work with.  Pentax is holding on, and I'm frankly surprised, as they
continue to decline.  They did invest in AF for the 645 platform though, but
there isn't a digital option.  The other parts of the company likely fund their
shrinking MF group.  The departure of Bronica will likely help them a little.
I've got to believe that cheap, used MF gear is their biggest competition.

So how was Bronica to compete?  They had three SLR systems, 6x4.5, 6x6, & 6x7,
all of which were old technology and no prospects of moving to AF.  That's a
lot of manufacturing, distribution, and inventory comittment.  I doubt whether
they have enough market share or buyer preference to warrant competing against
the other guys.  If Phase One, Leaf, etc don't support their products, they're
effectively dead in the wave of the digital future.

So they killed the products which had the oldest lines, largest systems, and
least chance for success without major investments.

They kept the 645 rangefinder that only has a handful of lenses and one body, a
small system, easy to support, and only two real competitors: Fuji and Mamiya.

As a business decision, it doesn't seem very hard.

Skip