[OM] camera up a mountain

Subject: [OM] camera up a mountain
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:58:23 -0300
The inside front cover and the adjacent page of the North American edition
of The Economist magazine for 25 September to 1 October is an advertisement
for Rolex watches. The ad features mountaineer Ed Viesturs wearing high
mountain gear standing on a snow covered mountain slope of substantial
elevation.

Around his neck and in very plain view is one of those mega sized single
reflex cameras, a real hunking sized wunderbrick ...... definitely not Leica
M or OM sized dignity.

I am curious about the resiliance and working effectiveness of these
electronic battery powered wunderbrick cameras at high mountain elevations
where severe low temperatures are frequently the order of the day. Here on
earth I thought that our modest battery powered OMs can shut down when their
batteries got cold. Using battery powered cameras halfway to heaven up the
Himmalayas might tempt those batteries to close down altogether.

To date I had believed that non-electronic cameras [Sir Chris Bonnington
used OMs I gather] were the first preference in frigid mountain climates.

Just curious - where 900' elevation is Nova Scotia is counted as half way to
heaven :-)

John Hudson
Nova Scotia, Canada

ps My aged M3 worked just fine at minus 30C and colder during many Calgary
winters of yesteryear.