[OM] Re: E-300 and OM-adapter?

Subject: [OM] Re: E-300 and OM-adapter?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:40:53 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:

>Why is it, then, that the (R)EVOLT does absolutely nothing for
>me?  I look at it and say "yuck".  Maybe it's better in person,
>but me thinks that Olympus is losing it.  Brilliant idea and it
>will sell well against the 2/3" prosumers and maybe the D70 or
>Dribbel.  But it doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Size and a bit of weight. Only 12% lighter, but a full 1/3 smaller, 800
cc vs. 1,188 cc. That's significant to me. I thnk the in person
impression of smaller size may be even greater.

>It doesn't advance the Digital State of the Art.

Lets just hope is catches up with the state of the art in noise. That
and the unique, much smaller design might be enough to make it run.

>They'll sell a few hundred thousand units, though.
>
>Olympus still hasn't answered the need for optical stabilization

There is still room for a real breakthrough in IS. Current still camera
IS only corrects for camera movement. Struggling to play catch up there
is a losing game. One of these days, electronic stabilization of image
motion caused by either sensor or subject movement will pop up. Not only
technically superior, but without the current IS price in size, weight
and mechanical complexity. It will wipe out the whole of current IS
technology. Whoever does it will be the new leader, no matter where they
were before. If they can control the technology for some time, they will
gain a huge advantage.

>, larger/better monitors, higher frame-rates and
>bigger buffers, faster auto-focus, or improved relations with
>dealers.
>
>Or how about the ability to get Tamron and Tokina to provide
>3rd-party lens support?

I wonder how hard Oly is trying on that front. Sigma signed up as a
member of the 4/3 group in March, has talked a lot about bringing out
their 18-50 and 55-200mm lenses in 4/3 mount, but it hasn't happened
yet. They have announced an 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC in 4/3 mount. You would
think the decision to bring out 3rd party 4/3 mount lenses would hinge
on the number of bodies sold and thus the potential customer base. But I
wonder if Oly & the 4/3 group are sticking to some kind of membership
requirements that make Tokina and Tamron hold back. We don't know the
prices of the new lenses announced with the E-300, but I wouldn't be
surprised to find that the new, slower 14-45 and 45-150mm zooms are
meant to fill the cheaper, "consumer zoom" position. I wonder how much
Oly's plans for these lenses had to do with the similar spec Sigmas not
appearing even months after they were announced.

Moose