[OM] first contact with the E-300

Subject: [OM] first contact with the E-300
From: "marc simon" <marc.simon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:49:06 +0200
Hi, all
I'm just back from the Photokina and of course I've played a little bit with
the
E-300...
Unfortunately I was not allowed to use my own compact flash in it  to bring
some pictures "home".  They told me that those E-300 was not yet the
production models so the only E-300 pictures I've seen were those displayed
on the LCD  screen... The construction looks of course cheaper than the E-1
(btw it was also my first "handling" of the E-1. But the feeling is fine,
it's not a small body, some details looks definitely cheaper compared to the
E-1, for example the door of the compact flash compartment looks "fragile"
and it was very difficult to extract the included compact flash...my fingers
were too large so I asked to the lady at the counter and even her had some
difficulties...that's why one of her colleague came and said her that it was
forbidden to use "foreign cards" in the "prototype"...too bad :(((
For me the difference of construction between the E-300 and the E-1 looks
smaller than between the 300D and the 10D of Canon...
About the viewfinder it's a little bit darker than the E-1's but not too
much...I've tried the zoom of the E-300 on the E-1 to compare with a lens of
same aperture...
The autofocus seems a little bit slower and the time of writing on the card
looks a longer than with the E-1, the latency of the release seems longer
too.
About the Iso values the "normal values" are from 100 to 400 Iso you need
some special menu to access to the higher ones
Definitely a more consumer oriented body...
Of course I came with one of my beloved Zuiko the 85 F2 but there was no
adapter available so I no opportunity to try it. The lady said  it's
possible there will be some one later in the week but I'm not sure of
that...So if somebody have already one...it could be interesting to come
with your own... Doro perhaps ?
About that adapter the Belgian sales manager told me "it doesn't officially
exist" and the "official European Politic" looks the same but the lady at
the counter explained the same thing that Doro has already said: write to
the company with your serial number and "it became available" ( hope it's
not only in Germany or in the USA...). I've explained to the Belgian Sales
manager that the "official politic" is a bad one and definitely not a good
commercial answer for the "loyal consumers" we are...he said that on a
"private point of view" he understand totally my opinion...
About the availability the first previsions for Belgium were mid January but
it will probably be available in the middle of December and the price will
be around  1199€.
There will probably be a cheaper E-1 Kit with the lens of the E-300...(14~45
F3.5-5.6)
I've asked about a more elaborated version of the E-1...and he suggest me
with a big smile that a visit to the PMA will be interesting...
About the films cameras, just some compacts and an IS-5000 displayed...
The place of film has shrunken everywhere...and bad news the only Ilford
presence was some printer papers...times are really changing !
regards
marc
namur
Belgium