[OM] Re: E-300 and OM-adapter?

Subject: [OM] Re: E-300 and OM-adapter?
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:02:07 -0700
Yeah, this one has more of the clever style I associate with Olympus. I
don't mind the interface since I'd use my card reader, anyway.
Everything else about it seems peachy to me.

Thinking of it as a Pen is cool, too. The idea has been floated out
there in cinema circles that the various sensor sizes roughly
correspond to existing film stock sizes. I think the guy who wrote the
letter I read compared small sensors to Super-8, 2/3" to 16mm and
full-frame sensors like the new Panavision camera to 35mm. At first
glance the analogy seems kind of trite, but when you start looking at
the sacrifices you make with the smaller sensors (even if grain isn't
an issue, like with smaller film stock) it kind of makes a certain kind
of sense. From that sort of stilted perspective the E-300-as-Pen has a
sort of resonance. Yeah, it isn't a full-frame K*dak or C*anon. It's a
Pen and that's pretty cool, too. Not to mention a lot more compact and
usable for people who aren't getting paid to carry their gear around.

I'll tell you what would make this camera impossible to pass up. A
pancake lens. All the current lenses are kind of big, but if they came
out with a nice analogue to the 40mm F2 that would keep the overall
size small this would be a really sweet little camera to carry all the
time.