[OM] Re: Tamron lens quality ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron lens quality ?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:49:25 -0700
There are indeed 2 versions of it, plus people sometimes don't look
closely enough and confuse them with the even later 90/2.8.

Model 52B was the first one, is all metal construction and takes 49mm
filters, making it most suitable for Oly users with 49mm filters. Model
52BB was next, has some plastic on the barrel and takes 55mm filters,
which matchs the second most common Oly filter size. The hood B&H is
for  the 52BB. The 3rd 90mm MF macro is a 90/2.8, which focuses directly
to 1:1 with out the extension tube required for the first 2 to do that
and also takes a 52mm filter. All are optically excellent lenses.

The other nice thin with the first 2 models is using them with the SP 2x
teleconverter. the combo makes a 180/5 lens that focuses directly from
infinity to 1:1 with great stand off distance for nature work. Here are
a couple of pics taken with 52B and 2x and a full pixel section from one
at 2720 dpi <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Tam902.5/index.htm>.
Hand held, by the way.

If you want a cheap, but optically excellent, macro lens AF lens for the
Nik*n, take a look at the Vivitar 100/3.5 macro. The one optical caveat
is the barrel distortion, so consider it for nature macros, where it
won't show up, but not for flat copy work
<http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/%7Ebj/zuiko/00001.htm>. $119 at B&H
including add on lens for 1:1.

Moose