[OM] Re: X-Prize Launch date pushed back [some OM, fer sure...]

Subject: [OM] Re: X-Prize Launch date pushed back [some OM, fer sure...]
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:35:30 -0600
At 05:25 PM 24/09/2004, Barry Hinderks wrote:

[snip]

>Rutan is already well ahead having at least flown (albeit with some
>problems they don't want to elaborate on) to the required height and time.
>The other entries are all still trying to get off the ground. While I'd
>love to see a Canadian entry do something I'm not so sure these guys have
>it together yet.

Hmmmmmm.

Part of me (the clichéd, self-deprecating, "we're-just-not-world-class"
Canadian part) says you're probably right, Barry.  Another part of me says
that, yeah, Rutan got there first, in a test flight that was admittedly
impressive and -- let's face it -- just plain cool, but the fat lady still
has to sing.  He's gotta do it twice in two weeks, with (IIRC) a coupla
passengers along for the ride.  Until the second successful flight happens
under those conditions, I don't think it's prudent of any of the entries to
just give up.

Go da Vinci!  Go Arrow!  (And try to launch from somewhere I can actually
get to, willya?)

Garth