[OM] Re: HRCCUD (home repairs can cause unusual damage)

Subject: [OM] Re: HRCCUD (home repairs can cause unusual damage)
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:20:07 -0700
Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) (commonly in the USA: "rubbing alcohol")
semi-structural formula: (CH3)2CHOH

"Denatured" alcohol (methylated spirits) commonly: 82.9% Ethyl alcohol
(ethanol), 16.4% Methyl alcohol (methanol), 0.5% MEK, 0.2% ethyl
acetate. Named "denatured" alcohol in the USA, so far as I know, because
the additives make it not only undrinkable, but poisonous. I'm told
'twas originally a sop to the "dry" states who needed alcohol for
various purposes, but were worried that "natural" alcohol would quickly
be a source for that evil imbibing--but that could well be urban legend.

Acetone semi-structural formula: (CH3)CO(CH3) Not an alcohol, it's
missing that all-important hydroxyl radical. (You're safe, Piers)

Ethanol (commonly: "booze", "spirits" and a zillion others) the
drinkable stuff semi-structural formula: CH3CH2OH

More than anyone probably wanted to know... However, my understanding is
that the "ol" variants of the names are those internationally accepted.

---
Scott Gomez