[OM] Re: Scanner or copy using digital body

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner or copy using digital body
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:07:59 -0700
Do you use a framing hammer and cold chisel to tighten nuts and a
spanner to drive nails? Both can be done, but the results are generally
less than desireable.

An E-1 has 2560x1920 resolution. If you copy the full width of a 35mm
frame, that is 2560/36mm = 71 ppmm = 1800 ppi. In theory, that is good
enough for the web and 4x6 prints. In practice, the results will be
almost certainly be at least somewhat worse than an 1800 dpi scanner,
especially if you don't use a true macro lens.

You can easily get an excellent 2700dpi scanner for much less than the
cost of the 80/4 Oly recommends for best results with the slide copier.

One simple technical issue. The bellows won't mount directly on most
DSLRs. Even the E-1, which doesn't have a pop-up flash above the prism
housing, has a forward bulge there that interferes with the bellows. It
can be mounted with an extension tube. That changes the minimum
extension of the bellows by the length of the tube needed to clear the
body. Probably won't affect the slide copier with an 80mm lens. I'm not
sure about with a 50mm, but it's fairly easy to check once you determine
how long a tube is needed for the camera body you are considering..

Moose