[OM] Re: LCD Monitor (was What's missing?)

Subject: [OM] Re: LCD Monitor (was What's missing?)
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:16:39 -0400
The native resolution of the Samsung 213T is 1600x1200. It has a
larger screen area than the Sony G500, even though they are both
called 21". (Actually 19.3" for CRT and 21.3" for LCD measured).
The sharpness of the LCD is much better than the monitor. The
aperture grill on the CRT can also create aliasing stuff that makes
it appear not as sharp. However the CRT colors are more trust
worthy when the monitor is calibrated. The LCD illumination is not
constant across the screen and viewing angle and ambient light
affect it more. The sharpness of the LCD, though, makes it much
easier to look at, and I use it most of the time, using the CRT for
confirmation on color. Also the LCD has no flicker. I run the CRT
at 85Hz 1280x1024, which is about equivalent in resolution to the
213T at 1600x1200, and the 213T looks sharper. The LCD DVI
interface should give better control of colors, etc. since there is
no D/A back to A/D conversion, and errors caused by cable/signal
bandwidth, etc.

Back in the 80's when I worked for Digital Equipment Corp the
monitors they had used a hexagonal aperture grill. I developed my
stigmatism then because of the asymetrical blurring that occurred
with that monitor's aperture grill pattern.

Getting a good monitor is important. I'll change the computer about
2-3 times before changing the monitor. And LCD's at this size weigh
a lot less! And you can have two computers and switch between
them with a switch on the monitor. Get a good one, your eyes
deserve it.

Wayne