[OM] OT Scam, was Photo Opps in Sardo

Subject: [OM] OT Scam, was Photo Opps in Sardo
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 06:21:49 +0100
Thanks Jim and Daniel

I had not thought of that way of doing it!  But the chap asked me to
wait for the cheque to clear, so I should have been in the clear.  The
main warning was the rush that the chap seemed to be in.

> O.k the problem now is that i am leaving u.k anytime from now but i am
> still interested in your item ,i dont know if i can entrust you,i
> think i will suggest if my company could issue  my travelling
> allowance in your name and send the cheque directly to you .so you
> will wire the difference to me in my place of assignment when it clear
> in your account.the amount that is going to be on a cheque is
> 3,850pounds.get back to me asap!!! to let me know your stand on this
> issue.

The language reminded me of that in the Nigerian scams; and the email
address was a US yahoo account (johnlewis2x1 at yahoo.com) It seemed to
good to be true and I asked him to telephone me to discuss the
transaction, telling him that I was in no rush.  I have heard nothing
for 12 hours ...

Chris

On 15 Sep 2004, at 5:24, Jim Brokaw wrote:

> 100% Scam all the way...
>
> You post out the goods and return the difference from your good-funds
> account, then a week later your bank tells you that the GBP3000 cheque
> (I
> hope I spelled that right) has no sufficient funds, and when you check
> with
> your buyer, he's long gone.... and he has your G2 and your money!
>
> Insist on a good payment of the correct amount. If that cheque is any
> good,
> the current travelin' man holder can get cash for it himself... why
> should
> -you- be his banker...?!
> --
>
> Jim Brokaw