[OM] Re: Photo Opps in Sardo

Subject: [OM] Re: Photo Opps in Sardo
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:28:39 -0400
Chris,

I am afraid I can't offer advice for Sardinia but I can suggest caution on
the buyer of your camera. It sounds all to similar to the Money Order scams
in the US. The scam works like this:

The buyer sends you a Money Order for over the value of the item (either
telling you in advance or not)
They then ask you to send the extra back with the goods.
You cash the MO and get the extra cash back and mail them the goods and the
cash.
The MO gets returned to the bank because its fake.
The bank then take ALL the money away from you.
Your buyer somehow seems to have gone quiet all of a sudden and you are out
the goods and the money.

It is rather evil as a scam but was somewhat common a while back, who knows
it still may be.

I would be very careful with this one.

Dan S.

From: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Chris Barker
Subject: [OM] Photo Opps in Sardo
Dear All
<snip>
OT: I was thinking of buying an Xpan on the proceeds of the sale of my
Contax G2 and lenses, but I seem to have been afflicted by some sort of
con merchant.  He tells me that he is being sent abroad by his employer
and that he wants to buy my camera quickly.  He will send me the
travelling allowance cheque (about 3000GBP) and trust me to refund him
the difference when it has cleared.  I cannot see the scam in this, but
I am concerned for his sanity <quizzically raised eyebrow>

Chris