[OM] OM4 Strange print stains

Subject: [OM] OM4 Strange print stains
From: "Walker, Tim" <Tim.Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:53:14 +0100
Dear OM Doctors,
I'm having an intermittent fault with my OM4. Lately I have had a few
returned prints (perhaps 10 in 72) which have a peculiar 'stain' on
them.
It is always exactly the same elongated arc shape, a thin line approx
5mm wide, that is positioned in exactly the same place on the print - on
the upper edge of the photo.
It almost looks as though someone half placed a cup of coffee on the
print (but it's not that circular).
It isn't entirely black, it just darkens the image behind it. I suppose
it looks like (to a non-too technical photographer) at the time of
exposure, something string-like got in the way of the film. But its
always EXACTLY the same shape, something more fixed in shape than string
could ever be! Does this make sense?
I've had the camera for about 18 months now and the last two rolls
through have been the first time it has shown up.  The camera came from
a London Jessops store and it came with a three year guarantee (but I
don't know exactly what they guarantee on 2nd hand goods) perhaps I
should take it back? But before I do does anyone on the list know what
might be happening and/or what can be done?

Thanks everyone,
Tim