[OM] Re: Promaster 5000 series flash w/ OLY module

Subject: [OM] Re: Promaster 5000 series flash w/ OLY module
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:58:36 -0700
on 9/7/04 3:48 PM, Ali Shah at farali@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Several months ago I asked if any of you had used a Promoaster 5000 series
> flash with your Olympus bodies....I didnt hear anything back. Anyhow I found
> out that Promaster is still making the FTM Module for Olympus and supposedly
> its compatible with the OM Series. Now I know most of you prefer the Olympus
> flashes but this is something you can buy brand new. Are there any drawbacks
> to using a third party flash with the OM cameras? How is Promaster quality
> compared to Metz, Vivitar, etc? I am looking at the FTD 5950, which I can
> also use with my Pent*x AF body.
>
> - Ali

Ali - It might be heresey to say it, but I don't see any problem using a
'compatible' TTL flash unit with OM bodies... for the most part, all you
need are the right signals at the right contacts at the right time. Since
Olympus didn't do anything really fancy, its possible to get that from third
party flashes, along with some nice features that might have been added to
Olympus flashes if they'd kept the OM stuff updated. I still like the T-20
for a small flash and the T-32 when I don't mind carrying something larger,
but it seems to me that the electronic end of it has probably improved since
the T-series circuitry was designed, e.g. more efficient capacitors, etc. so
a newer flash might yield better battery life, higher power, faster recycle
times, and other benefits.

Still won't look as 'right' though...
--

Jim Brokaw