[OM] Re: Promaster 5000 series flash w/ OLY module

Subject: [OM] Re: Promaster 5000 series flash w/ OLY module
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:53:48 -0400
Ali,

I wasn't aware of them before you mentioned it today (sorry I missed your
previous mails to the group).

I was also not aware of the Promaster efforts at TTL support across brands.
I can definitely see why you are looking at them. I did find this
<http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/pro5750.html> which made interesting
reading if you are thinking of going E-series at any stage.

They remind me of a series of Vivitar modular flashes I have had come
through my bag. Nothing wrong with the Vivitars I had apart from a lack of
off camera support (well I guess unless you like finding lots of T20 Shoe
Cables I guess). If the above article is correct in that Promaster is just a
rebrander (like Vivitar) maybe they are just an evolution of the Vivitar
flashes. The Vivitars that I had offered swivel as well as bounce without a
grip handle. I think that feature is in the model you mention.

Anyway if I were you I would go for it as you will get a flash that is more
flexible than the Oly-only options for your set up. Is a little more future
proof to boot and has a warranty. And the prices look good to me.

Dan S.

From: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Ali Shah
Subject: [OM] Promaster 5000 series flash w/ OLY module

Several months ago I asked if any of you had used a Promoaster 5000 series
flash with your Olympus bodies....I didnt hear anything back. Anyhow I found
out that Promaster is still making the FTM Module for Olympus and supposedly
its compatible with the OM Series. Now I know most of you prefer the Olympus
flashes but this is something you can buy brand new. Are there any drawbacks
to using a third party flash with the OM cameras? How is Promaster quality
compared to Metz, Vivitar, etc? I am looking at the FTD 5950, which I can
also use with my Pent*x AF body.
- Ali