[OM] Re: "top-posting"? was excessive quoting

Subject: [OM] Re: "top-posting"? was excessive quoting
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:16:09 +0100
Of Chris Barker
>Sent: 04 September 2004 11:05
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] "top-posting"? was excessive quoting

>Michael

>Forgive me, but what is "top-posting" or "bottom-posting" and how does it
matter?

>And how does doing one or the other prevent people from simply quoting only
that
>which is necessary for the thread to be comprehensible when someone reads a
post
>halfway through a thread?

>Chris

--snip

And this is bottom-posted.

Back in the 'old days', convention was to put replies to postings after the
quoted text.  It was then very simple to follow the chronology of the
posting-exchange.  Then along came Micros*ft with a different view of
things, meaning that Outlook makes top-posting the easy way for the poster
(and never mind the reader).

Piers