[OM] Re: Resistance is futile

Subject: [OM] Re: Resistance is futile
From: "Mickey Trageser" <Gad-Zuiks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:47:44 -0400
Hi Moose,
Yep, the habit of counting clicks comes in handy, can't deny that. But you
never had to on the OM. Really impairs spontaneity.

You do only see a portion of what you used to see in the OM viewfinder. That
was my point. And it's not presented as large. I was stunned, not having
looked through the OM4T for a while, to see how huge the image appeared. I
do miss that. That's not a function of the Zuikos, of course, just the
optics of the bodies.

The AF performance varies with the lens and conditions, of course. I have
the 300D with kit lens. The kit lens is a real bargain for the $100 bucks.
You can't get the 18mm wide angle (29 equiv) for that price. The focus is
quick and quiet. I have the Borg 75-300 USM. Again, quick and quiet. The
Tomran 28-75/2.8 is one helluva sharp lens, but doesn't focus as quickly or
quiety, but I find it satisfactory in most circumstances. It's accurate. I
test drove the similar Sagmi and was totally underwhelmed by the AF
performance in both speed and noise. It is a very sharp lens, though. I also
have the Sagmi 170-500 bmf honker. It's not a fast (bright) lens, so focus
is slower than the rest, I assume due to more travel. When it misses, wow.
Forget the shot if it's moving. I haven't had enough opportunities to use it
yet, so I'm really not troubled by it. When you add the 1.6x mag factor,
it's a good reach.

I wouldn't say it's not worth the trouble to use Zuikos on the Borg line,
but be very aware of the limitations, and be prepared for compromise. You
won't have to compromise sharpness, however!

Also, realize that while you factor in the effective1.6x
magnification/cropping due to a smaller sensor, the dof remains the same.
That 50/1.4 becomes a fast 80/1.4 equiv. on the Borg, but the dof isn't as
shallow as an 80 prime on the film camera.

Thanks for the other perspective.
-Mickey