[OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.

Subject: [OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:47:18 +0200
>From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>>Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas wrote:
>>
>>Mountless Tamron Adaptall lenses behave in a similar way to Zuikos. Another
>>exception to the general rule are M42 auto diaphragm lenses (see below).
>>And Can*n FD lenses are the weirdest thing on earth, regarding to coupling
>>;-)
>>
>Well, those 3 types of mounts are the only ones I have used, except on
>very rare occasion, in years. I had forgotten that about Nik*n, but see
>that it is so when I drag one out and look.

I started with Pent*x-K, so the OM looked 'weird' to me :-)

>So Peter is right about K-mount, but not about M42?

I think Peter is right. The upgrade allows a 'stopped-down metering' mode
-- just like most M42 bodies with TTL metering did! I was just pointing to
the auto-iris operation, which is OK with Pent*x-K lenses (they share that
mechanism with their AF brothers) but *not available* with *adapted* M42
lenses, which should keep stopped down manually.

This reminds me of the two modes of the Kindai OM-EOS adapter (preset vs.
stop-down)

>I just tried this and got a similar result. I could easily take pics of
>anything in the dark garage with quick and easy AF lock.
[snip]
>I suggest that the problem is
>the nature of the subject, with the specular reflections off shiny body
>and glass surfaces confusing the AF.

That makes a lot of sense.

Speaking of AF... a nice thing on my first AF (the Ric*h GR-1) which I miss
a lot on the mju-II, was a set of icons in the viewfinder indicating the
approximate measured distance -- at least I knew when the AF was wrong (not
a rare event, BTW). I had much less chance of out-of-focus pictures with
the GR than the mju, but the GR did miss a lot of pictures while trying
once-and-again to get the AF 'right'.

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>