[OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.

Subject: [OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:10:18 -0700
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas wrote:

>>So Peter is right about K-mount, but not about M42?
>>

>I think Peter is right. The upgrade allows a 'stopped-down metering' mode
>-- just like most M42 bodies with TTL metering did! I was just pointing to
>the auto-iris operation, which is OK with Pent*x-K lenses (they share that
>mechanism with their AF brothers) but *not available* with *adapted* M42
>lenses, which should keep stopped down manually.
>
>This reminds me of the two modes of the Kindai OM-EOS adapter (preset vs.
>stop-down)

These adapters don't really have preset in the traditional meaning of
the word. Preset is a design where you set a separate ring on the lens
to the desired aperture. You frame and focus at full aperture, then just
twist the aperture ring until it hits the preset aperture and stops.
This was the best design available before auto diaphram. That way you
don't have to look away from the viewfinder or count clicks. My 50ish
year old 50/2.8 Zeiss Jena with aperture preset is actually easier to
use on the 300D with adapter than any of my later MF lenses

Moose