[OM] Death of icons.

Subject: [OM] Death of icons.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:27:54 -0700
Lots of people here got worked up about the death of Cartier-Bresson.

I've never been a journalist/street photog, nor interested, so it didn't mean
much to me. In fact, I think some of the stuff he said about photography just
isn't true for me.

But I do cook and now Julia Child is gone. Her first show on PBS was a real
eye-opener. Even something as apparently simple as an omelet was completely
transformed and went from something I didn't much like to a real treat. The
last thing my son wanted me to do a couple of days ago before I took him and
his girlfriend to the airport for their trip to OZ was to make him one of my
famous omelets.

And talk about entertainment! I'll never forget when she whacked the head off a
big fish. It went flying off screen and you could hear the Ooof! when it hit
one of the crew.

Then there's the show on chicken marengo. She explained how Napolean's chef
invented the dish at the battle of Marengo based on the few odd ingredients at
hand. Then she said she imagined him pulling out his sword and cutting up the
chicken - and proceded to pull out a saber/sabre and mutilate a chicken with
it. She then said something to the effect of "Oh well, I suppose he was more
experienced with a sword than I am.", tossed the mess under the counter and
pulled out a plate of properly cut up chicken.

One of my inspirations is gone and I'll miss her.

Moose