[OM] Half-format scanning (PEN + Minolta Multi)

Subject: [OM] Half-format scanning (PEN + Minolta Multi)
From: Roland Ruehl <roland.ruehl@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:29:48 -0700
List,

a question for the half-format guru's:

so I finally got a very clean replacement (actually two ...) for my
stolen PEN FT (see my email in June) and am taking half-format pictures
again. One reason for starting to using the PEN for me was the ability
to scan slides in batch mode, with my Minolta Multi-II scanner. I have
my development shop frame 2 (positive) pictures in one normal 35mm frame
(the shop had initial concerns, but the PEN perfectly aligns the
pictures :-)) and then use a slide feeder to scan a whole film
automatically. That was the original idea, but now that I tried I have a
problem:

the whole procedure is based on the scanner's autofocus, which I guess
is taken on the center of the picture. Unfortunately, in my setup, the
center is a black stripe, the separator of the two half-frame pictures.
Due to the black, the scans are heavily unfocused. I know, I could
manually focus each scan, but using the batch-feeder is so much better
for the "Haussegen" :-)

Also, unrelated to the above, I would like to post some pictures and
have no home page yet. Any advice on which provider, which software, etc
to use ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Roland.

PS: BTW, I can highly recommend the *bay seller that sold me the two
bodies (kyotoronin). He is also selling other equipment. I have had some
frustration with other "near MINT" PEN bodies, bad light-meter, no focus
at infinity, etc etc.