[OM] Re: MF scanner for Moose

Subject: [OM] Re: MF scanner for Moose
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:52:31 +0000
I'm using an Epson Perfection 3200 Pro for my MF stuff, and I have no real
complaints.  I sometimes get a fleeting hankering for the 4800 d.p.i.
resolution of the 4870, but then I remember that 6x9 is 6.25 times the size of
35mm and that a 3200 d.p.i. scan produces a TIFF file of 100 to 110 MB, so I go
right back to being satisfied with what I've got.  Besides, I nearly never make
a print larger than 11.7x16.5 in. anymore, which is the largest size paper I
keep on hand for the Epson 2200 printer, and for that size print, a 3200 d.p.i.
scan of a 6x9 tranny or negative is way more than sufficient unto the task.

The only drawback I can see that you might have with this scanner is that the
film holder is designed to accommodate 120 film in strips.  From your post, I
assume some of your negatives are singles, and it might be a little bit fumbly
to get them positioned exactly right, particularly the 6x6 ones.  It's not that
big a deal, and I have had no problem using the scanner for 6x9 sheet film, but
it, of course, is stiffer than roll film.

It may be more scanner than you need, but you might find a used one at a good
price, and if you find the Pro version and if it includes all the original
bundled software, it's worth a little extra because it includes SilverFast,
plus some ArcSoft stuff I have found interesting enough to play around with a
bit, especially the Panorama Maker.

Happy hunting.

Walt

--