[OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?

Subject: [OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:11:16 +0100
Can't see what Walt posted (bad URL?) but if his experience is at all
similar to my recent experience, I will not be surprised:

I scanned over 150 transparencies dating in the main from the period 1957 to
1963, with some as recent (!) as 1971. I was able to review ALL of them by
eye, and though several had degraded, the result of scanning with ICE was
stunning.  Even on Kodachromes, supposedly not ICE-able.  Amusingly, I saw
the photographic equipment I was using at the time - another story.  And I
know the equipment which was used (by my father) has long since expired (and
was not at the heady level of Pentax, for sure).  But the images remain
accessible.

Conversely, I have countless pieces of digital media up to 20 years old
which I am NOT able to view by eye.  Anybody got an Apple ][ 5.25" floppy
drive, a 720k 3.5" floppy drive, a 1.2MB 5.25" floppy drive?  Sure, the
answer is to archive from one medium to another as technology develops -
wish I had thought of it sooner.

Piers