[OM] Re: 180/2 for macro?!

Subject: [OM] Re: 180/2 for macro?!
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:07:17 -0300
Hi Wayne, Moose, Andrew,

Well, thanks for your replies !!

Found very useful these observations:
1- the simple rule is, extension before teleconverter increases
magnification, teleconverter before extension increases focal length.
2- Oly's teleconverter designs seem to be very focused (tee hee) on getting
the front element of the converter as close as possible to the rear element
of the prime lens [...]  With 2 25mm tubes in front of a teleconverter, with
the lens set at infinity, it would actually be receiving the light after it
had come into focus at the expected film plane 46mm behind the mount, so it
would be diverging, rather than converging, when it hit the converter.
3- Excellent working distance, but I was disappointed in the results,
perspective seemed strange in a way that I couldn't explain. So Ihaven't
pursued that further.

May I add:
to 1- nothing.
to 2- I have tried the 85~250 +2X-A @f11 (22) but results are not
conclusive. Good to VG on a roll of Provia but awful on a roll of Velvia
which was damaged by water (watermarks not withstanding, only referring to
definition and contrast - emulsion suffered some damage, but why should it
be worse on pictures shot with that combo).
to 3- I've had good or even VG results with the 200/4 + 65~116 - when
managed to keep the setup steady enough :-)

Best regards,

Fernando

PS: what happened to digests 180 and 181?