[OM] Re: The journal entry for last Monday

Subject: [OM] Re: The journal entry for last Monday
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:16:07 -0400
I don't think the Linhof is going to be a spur of the moment, on the
way to work, under the seat, quick shot camera :-) But if you like big
panorama... At least with the Xpan you can focus easily on subjects not
at infinity.

I still have a bunch of film shot with the Xpan, hanging and waiting to
be scanned. At least with the Xpan you can scan with a 35mm scanner and
stitch, larger film means bigger scanner or epson flatbed. I do not
have the stitching down yet for the Xpan shots. For some reason the
scans from my Nikon scanner always have a ~0.5 degree tilt, which means
more futzing to get it stitched. (Futz: Merriam-Webster Online
definition: "literally, to fart around"). The 35mm shift lens is
another alternative, which has been discussed here before (shift left
and right and stitch the two together).

Before going the expensive route, try stitching, as Marc suggests. The
advantage of an Xpan or shift lens is the flat plane projection. Once
you start seeing with the panorama format, subjects other than landscape
start revealing themselves.

Wayne - off to try once again to scan the Xpan.