[OM] Re: Dying Film

Subject: [OM] Re: Dying Film
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:24:55 -0300

On Jul 23, 2004, at 1:22 PM, R.Jackson wrote:

> I've gotta admit, I go years without doing any darkroom work and then
> I'll have an active few months. I was pitching a documentary last
> summer and shot a series of B&W photos that I made into 11x14s for the
> pitch and that was the last time I made any prints. Nothing like a big
> glossy B&W print, IMO. When the contrast and exposure are finally just
> right and you pull a really nice print out of the tray it's a fine,
> fine moment.

I completely agree here. I just completed my advanced photo continuing
education class at the local art college. It was an exclusively
darkroom class. My goal was to start working on fibre prints. I worked
really hard in the class and my printing has improved quite a lot. I
did manage to complete 10 11x14s for my final project all on fibre
which I was very pleased with. Some of the prints could still use some
work but overall I'm very happy with the work, especially the ones that
I completed more recently.

I'm also taking advanced photoshop at the same time. One of the guys in
the class shoots a fair amount but only digitally. He said he'd like to
take one of the photo classes at the college but didn't like how it's
so focused on darkroom. I explained that the photo courses are all
darkroom and his comment was, "what's the point?".  Our final class is
next week, I think I might bring in my fibre prints to see if I can
explain to him why it still makes sense to shoot film.

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/