[OM] Re: Dying Film

Subject: [OM] Re: Dying Film
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:27:39 EDT

Joel wrote:

> I kind of like that smell.:)

Yes, I agree with both of you. I only spoke of the "convenience" of doing it
on a computer and was only guessing of any health benefit of losing the
darkroom.
The various U.S. gov't agencies that purport to have our best interests at
heart have for several years leaned on the local photo finishers and treated
them as polluters and a menace to the public health. My local guy had to keep
moving his equipment further and further away from the front counter of his
photo
store/portrait studio until he finally was forced to put the machines in a
separate back room, far from the public. He eventually closed down the film
business completely, and now has reopened as a digital-only business.

Anyone who's read my replies on the subject knows I actually dislike taking
and processing photos via the digital path, but I do it because of the
convenience. I'll keep using film for as long as I see a difference in the
output of
the two mediums, and even beyond that, because I enjoy using film more than a
digital camera/computer combination. I know you'll say there's little
difference even now in the final results, or maybe thisclose to being no
difference,
but I'm talking about equipment that I can afford to buy today.
I have a choice to use film because I'm not running a pro business, nor am I
a 20-something who probably has little memory of doing it the "old fashioned"
way, and has never even seen the inside of a darkroom.

George S.