[OM] Re: Dying Film

Subject: [OM] Re: Dying Film
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:45:54 EDT
Wayne wrote:

> I wonder if Kodak film decline has anything to do with Fujifilm?
> How is Fuji's film sales doing? I shoot mostly Fujifilm slide film.
> I cleaned out the basement fridge of old film. What was being
> tossed: E100S, Ektachrome 100 Plus and Elite Chrome. What
> is still in there? Provia, Velvia, Astia 100f; some Tri-X, Acros,
> Reala, and Portra.

I long ago just about abandoned Kodak for Fuji films, but I think the film
decline has hit Fuji just as hard. I hear all the time about both manufacturers
closing plants in the U.S. Some work got shifted to other countries in the
belief that it would take digital a long time to make serious inroads in those
countries, but that was not the case. It seems that by the time the "new"
plants
were up and running, plans were being made to scale back those plants too.
The speed of digital's rise has surprised everyone in the past 5 years.

George S.