[OM] Re: Recharge specs for F.AC Adapters + Quantum Turbo

Subject: [OM] Re: Recharge specs for F.AC Adapters + Quantum Turbo
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:09:23 -0400
Thanks, Walt.  2 and 4 seconds for the Turbo Z and F.AC Adapter 2 is
close enough for what I wanted to know.  I'll assume the regular Turbo
is a bit faster.

On the subject of ready light coming on vs. full power, my tests show
that the T-32 is pretty optimistic.  At a distance of 10 feet at ISO 100
and using freshly charged 1800 mah NiMH battteries I see the flash gain
0.4 stops between 5 and 7.5 seconds.

Between 7.5 and 10 seconds it gains another 0.3 stops, another 0.1 stops
by waiting for 15 seconds and another 0.1 stops by waiting for 20
seconds.  It's pretty well maxed out at 20 seconds but the final output
with the NiMH's is still 0.4 stops below a fresh set of Alkalines (which
charge even more slowly).

The half stop gained between 7.5 and 20 seconds is OK on TTL but plays
havoc with manual exposures.

I think we need 5 batteries when using NiCads or NiMH's to keep the
input voltage up to 6 volts.

Chuck