[OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...
From: Jim Sharp <jsharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 13:08:27 -0500
I agree, it isn't "identical lighting," but to my untrained eye it's
similar and they were taken a couple minutes apart with the same clouds,
sun, etc.. In one case we have a bright sky. In the other, a white
garage door. My assumption and possibly a mistaken one is that the
overall scene brightness is roughly the same, probably a bit brighter in
one with a lot of sky. Clearly the camera calculated exposure is very
different between the 2. More than the scene differences should account
for IMO but maybe my expectations are just too high.

Both these were taken with matrix metering, not center weighted. I've
since started using center weighted metering to try to get some idea of
how the camera will meter but honestly, I can't figure it out most of
the time. And unlike film cameras, there's little latitude to play with.
If it's off by much toward overexposure the shots a throwaway.

And I made a mistake in my first description. The camera was set to
+0.3ev compensation in both cases, not zero. It was set the same in both
cases however. Sorry about that.

--
Jim