[OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...
From: Jim Sharp <jsharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:14:46 -0500
Nice shots Tom. I can't say I haven't gotten some myself, but here two
classic examples of how the metering works on my camera. Please! No
comments on content.  Sometimes you have to use a camera for snapshots...

http://home.illicom.net/users/jsharp/personalphotos/DSC_0367%208X6.jpg

http://home.illicom.net/users/jsharp/personalphotos/DSC_0366%208X6.jpg

Both of these were shot raw, aperture priority mode, ISO 200, matrix
metering, tone comp auto, no saturation adjustments, white balance set
to cloudy, noise reduction auto, standard curve in the camera. All I did
was convert them to jpg and downsize for the web in NC.

Lens was set to f/5.6

Camera determined shutter speed on the first was 1/250
On the second one 1/60

IOW, there is a full 2 stop difference in what the camera determined was
the correct exposure, even though the shots were taken in identical
lighting less than 2 minutes apart. Can someone look at those scenes and
tell me how I could look at them and determine I needed to add *2 stops*
of EV comp to one to get an exposure that's similar to the other? If
anything, I'd think the camera would have underexposed the primary
subject in the second frame given the amount of sky showing. My OM's
sure would have using center weighted metering. What I'm seeing is the
opposite of what I'd expect. But who knows, maybe I'm just not that good
at reading a scene...;)

--
Jim