[OM] Re: OMPC trouble

Subject: [OM] Re: OMPC trouble
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:29:22 -0700

>Oily magnets would be my guess

I was afraid of that. I guess it's not just an OM10 problem. Has anyone
attempted a home repair on the PC? I found a recent post on photo.net
explained a fix for the OM10 but I suspect that it would only be
temporary as it doesn't address the source of the oil. Here is a partial
quote of said post:

> This is a common problem with the OM10, and is relatively simple to
> fix yourself, if you are careful and handy with tools. Remove the lens
> and carefully raise the mirror and hold it up with tape - I use
> electrical insulation tape from the bottom of the mirror across the
> top of the prism.
>
> Carefully prise the lower cover/floor of the mirror box up and out -
> raise the front first and then pull it uot in a forward direction.
> Again be carefull, there may be some insulating foil stuck to the
> underside - prise this off with a thin knife blade.
>
> The shutter electro-magnet will be visible at the front of the mirror
> box floor if your OM10 is an early model, towards the rear if it is a
> later model. Using a fine brush or a Q-tip, swab the contacts with a
> small amount of iso-propyl alcohol or lighter fluid and dry (soak up
> the residue) with lens tissue.

Giving a quick check of the OM10 vs the PC I see two screws in the PC
that are missing in the 10. I suppose there are other differences as well.

mike