[OM] Re: Shift lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Shift lenses
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:17:26 -0500
Mine brain is still throbbing some, grinding away slowly with the Crayolas
and TP doing analytic geometry and manipulating some trig equations.

I think I'll plug a roll of Plus-X into the ancient Zeiss Ikon Contax IIIa,
and burn some thin, single-layer emlusion using the methods of the Good Ol'
RF Days.  Should feel better afterward.

BTW, I actually *used* that camera for a wedding once . . . loaded with
Plus-X Pan [alas, no Verichrome Pan was to be had] and a Sunpak 120J (bowl
without diffusion panel) mounted on a handle . . . plus UV filter on lens
to chop out the UV from the flash.  Shot a couple rolls of B/W candids of
the bride/groom at the reception interleaved with Portra 160NC in an OM
with a flash bracket.  Got some *very* interesting looks from the guests
while wielding it [what time capsule did *he* escape from??].

Results were quite interesting.  Timeless; like you would expect to see
from the mid-1930's.  The 120J with bowl on a handle did a marvelous job of
simulating the subtly different light and shadows created flash bulbs in
handle flashes with bowl reflectors created.  Also got a magnificent feel
for what PJ's went through using their RF's.  Reviewing and practicing some
of the very nearly "lost art" tricks they used helped.

-- John Lind
[scurrying back for the darkness under the rock like a scorpion caught in
the open at sunrise]

At 08:17 PM 7/5/04, Walt Wayman: