[OM] Re: Shift lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Shift lenses
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:07:37 +0000
Making a poor attempt at imitating John's ASCII art, check this:

            xx
         x      x
      x            x
    x               x
   x     -------     x
   x     |     |     x
    x    -------    x
      x           x
        x      x
           xx

Assuming my poorly-drawn, cock-eyed circle above is the image circle of my
90/5.6 Caltar and the dotted lines represent the 6x9cm format, although I may
be able, by the use of rise, fall and shift of the lens standard, to move about
the image circle to compose a photograpah, no matter where I wander to within
this circle, it's STILL A 90mm LENS, and although it may be a really wide
wide-angle lens on a 5x7 in. camera, or a pretty wide WA on a 4x5 in., it's
basically a normal focal length lens on a 6x9/6x7cm camera.  Because if
projects a wider image circle doesn't make it a "wider" lens.

I hope this makes sense.  It does to me, and that's a little scary.

Walt