[OM] Re: [lens] Re: Shift lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: [lens] Re: Shift lenses
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 15:23:54 -0400
Actually, the field of view of a shifted lens will vary according to
where in the image circle it is shifted. On the edge of the frame
near the edge of the image circle, the field of view will be wider
(in degrees) than the opposite edge.

tOM

On 5 Jul 2004 at 14:21,
John A. Lind <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 12:21 PM 7/5/04, Walt Wayman wrote:
>
> >What am I missing?  I hope we're not confusing coverage with field of
> >view.  To me, field of view is what you get on film, what you see through
> >the viewfinder or on the ground glass, regardless of the image circle the
> >lens may project, a.k.a. its coverage.  And I do know about coverage.  One
> >of my favorite MF lenses is a super-sharp 90/5.6 Caltar.  It will cover
> >the 5x7 in. format, but I use it on my 6x9cm baby Graphics.  Talk about
> >cherry-picking the center out of an image!
> >
> >Walt, often Clueless, but eager to be instructed
>
> I'll try to do this with ASCII-Art . . . best viewed with fixed-pitch font!!!
>
> The light pouring through the lens is an image cone.  The angle at its apex
> is the acceptance angle, and the base of the cone forms the image

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur -------
   ,__@ tOM Trottier +1 613 231-6115
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)                N45.412 W75.714
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too
much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
-Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826)