[OM] Re: A question about color resolution and film vs. digital

Subject: [OM] Re: A question about color resolution and film vs. digital
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:01:30 -0400
At 3:34 AM +0200 6/11/04, Listar wrote:
>Subject: [OM] Re: A question about color resolution and film vs. digital
>From: Bob_Benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:05:43 -0500
>
>Thanks for Walt's and Winsor's responses.
>
>I think I'm asking a different question than the dynamic range of film ...
>which I take to mean the range from dark to light.
>What I'm asking is this:
>
>If you have two identical figures (say blocks of wood) that are absolutely
>identical in color (say, green).
>If you changed the color very slightly of one of them ... and you want the
>media (eye, film, digital sensor) to recognize the difference ..
>
>Do you have to change the color more or less for an eye, or film, or the
>digital sensor,  to register that the second block is in fact a different
>color than the first one?   That is,  does the minimum amount of color
>change for the second block have to be more or less for digital compared
>to film, in order to record a difference in the color?

I would suggest that the question is ill-posed, because there are
many "digital sensor" variants, and many kinds of film for that
matter, so one cannot draw any such conclusion.

The issue of the color resolution of the eye was discussed some time
ago.  I don't have the energy to repeat the discussion, but it's all
in the archives.  Including my own quite long postings, replete with
numbers upon numbers.  My first was "How many bits/pixel does a
digital image need", posted 19 September 2003.  There were a number
of related postings, under various titles, but they were all in that
timeframe.

Joe Gwinn