[OM] Re: Stop the insanity! (If you feel like it)

Subject: [OM] Re: Stop the insanity! (If you feel like it)
From: Ross Orr <voxbongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 23:24:58 -0400
Stylianos wrote:
>I agree with your choices and I
>have two or three suggestions to add. I think you can find a Bounce Grip
>2 and it deserves every cent you pay when you see how better your flash
>work will be.

Stylianos, I came to the same conclusions--and right now I am looking
forward to developing my first roll after buying one! The "deer in
the headlamps" look of flash on camera is something I've always hated.

(I would mention, though, that there's also the cost of a TTL cord,
and (for my 2N) the Connector 4, in addition to the grip itself. . . )

I have to agree with people's comments that the slower variants of
the different focal lengths are fine at least 95% percent of the
time. I eventually gave up on my fantasy of getting the 100/2--lovely
though I'm sure it is--because I just couldn't justify the cost
difference. If it's a REALLY dim available light situation, the
50/1.4 does a lovely job at a comparative bargain price.

The 35/2.8 does seem like a great value, as Jim mentioned, and I
would probably go for it if that wasn't so close to focal lengths I
already own. I've also picked up the 200/4 Bill suggested, and enjoy
it thoroughly--especially after pondering the cost of the 180/2.8. . .

Fortunately I'm not feeling too many glaring focal-length gaps in my
lens selection at the moment--so I think I'm safe from getting into
Andrew territory!

Although, err. . . does anyone have a bargain favorite (non-Zuiko) in
the ~21mm range?

cheers,
  -- Ross

"Do something foolish once, and it's a mistake.
  Do it repeatedly and it's a philosophy."