[OM] Re: Stop the insanity! (If you feel like it)

Subject: [OM] Re: Stop the insanity! (If you feel like it)
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 08:56:13 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/2004 12:16:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
voxbongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
At current prices, what Oly items do you think are an especially GOOD
value, in terms of pure picture-taking ability per dollar/euro?

Ross,

I think the OM-PC is often overlooked. It has a couple of features that no
other OM body has, DX film speed setting and ESP metering. I know I've
forgotten
to change the film speed setting dial sometimes when I have changed to a
different speed film, and the ESP can be valuable for snap shots where you're
not
thinking as much about lighting as you should or when a less-knowledgable
photographer is using the camera. Both of these features can be overridden if
you
want to. It also has Program mode. The biggest drawback of this body, IMO, is
the display, which is a row of dots next to the shutter speeds, and doesn't
have a scale to use in manual mode. But Oly built this as an "amateur" model,
so
they figured most photos would be taken in Auto or Program.

I'm also a supporter of the OM-2S, especially when the cost/performance
analysis is applied. Yes, you need to be careful when you buy one and
replacement
circuits aren't available if yours goes kaput, but they're good bodies overall
and some prefer the "always on" single spot in manual to the "push button"
spot mode of the OM-3 and -4. The OM-2S is one body that people either love or
avoid like the plague, and you'll hear both views on this list. At current
auction prices, though, I believe a good one is a bargain.

My .02,
Greg