[OM] Re: Stop the insanity! (If you feel like it)

Subject: [OM] Re: Stop the insanity! (If you feel like it)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 00:46:33 -0700
Ross Orr wrote:

>So, I joined the Olympus list about 6 months ago. . . And tonight,
>out of some perverse curiosity, I added up the total price for all
>the OM gear I've bought since then. I thought I had been getting some
>reasonable xBay deals, so I was mortified to discover I had topped
>$700 USD!

What amazing restraint!

>So, in the spirit of contrition, austerity, and reining in rampant
>Zuikoholism, let me throw out a question for you:
>
>At current prices, what Oly items do you think are an especially GOOD
>value, in terms of pure picture-taking ability per dollar/euro?
>
>Some of my candidates might be the 2N, the 50/1.4, the T20 flash
>(with faster film it may be all you need); and perhaps the 100/2.8
>(considering the price relative to the 85/2).

The OMPC certainly has the most performance for the cost, but there are
reliability concerns. Not always repairable like the 2N, but I like it
better in many ways.
At prices I'm aware of, the 50/1.8 miJ is the alltime value leader, an
excellent lens for peanuts.
The 75-150/4 is pretty inexpensive these days and a good lens, so
qualifies for value status, but I hardly use mine, so I'm not sure what
value it has been to me.
The 50/3.5 is really a bargain too. A really first class macro lens for
little money.

Somebody mentioned the 35-105 zoom, which raises the problem with the
concept of value. The 35-70/3.5-4.5 is a lot cheaper, does pretty much
the same thing, is smaller and takes the same 49mm filters as the other
good value lenses, thus indirectly saving money too. So it is clearly
the better value - unless you aren't happy with less reach. Others find
the 35-80/2.8, a relatively expensive Zuiko, to be a good 'bargain' for
them because it really meets their needs and the results are more than
worth it to them.

There are also a lot of real 'value' items for the OM system that aren't
made by Oly.

Moose