[OM] Vibration reduction, was Manual or Auto focus scan?

Subject: [OM] Vibration reduction, was Manual or Auto focus scan?
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 07:07:51 +0100
Walt

I have not felt any undue vibration, but then I have not been trained
in the reconnaissance skills necessary to detect this enemy ;-)  I am
not at all sure what Sorbothane is, but I reckon some of the cardboard
lurking in my cellar might start the remedy.

Chris

On 29 May 2004, at 18:31, Walt Wayman wrote:

> I promised a few days ago to explain what I did to my Minolta 5400
> that I felt improved its performance somewhat, so here goes.  This
> scanner vibrates.  Mine sits on an old, very heavy, solid oak desk,
> and I could feel vibration in the desktop itself when the scanner was
> in use.  Being a veteran of years in the hi-fi wars and many a
> vibration search and destroy mission, I decided that the feedback from
> the vibrating desktop, while maybe not particularly detrimental, sure
> as hell wasn't likely to be beneficial either.
>
> A bit of digging in a box of hi-fi odds and ends turned up just what I
> was looking for: a sheet of 1/4 in. thick Sorbothane.  The feet on the
> scanner, fore and aft, have thin little rubber pads on them, but that
> solid, hard plastic stand that sits amidscanner provides a direct
> mechanical connection between the scanner case and the desktop,
> providing an ideal path for vibration and vibration feedback.  So, I
> cut a couple of 3/4 in. x 2 in. strips to span the front and rear feet
> and a 4 in. circle to stick on the bottom of the stand.  Voila!  No
> more desktop vibration!

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.