[OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsi

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:39:05 -0500
> >Unfortunately, in my experience with Vuescan only "white
> balance" or rarely "auto" is good for anything.  If you can't
> get one of those to work, you're cooked. You'll have to
> correct color elsewhere.
> >
> Well, that's not my experience. I find that the Neutral
> setting is often
> best for my images. I know you have an older version of Vuescan, so I
> don't know if these options work the same as on mine. I also
> don't know
> if you have the individual color adjustments. The histograms show the
> individual colors as well as the average luminance and colors can be
> adjusted. I don't usually do that, preferring to get close in
> Viewscan
> and finish up in PS, but the options are there and work in
> Viewscan. You
> may not have the curve adjustment settings either.
>
> Moose

I do remember using neutral occasionally, though white balance was often
best and recommended by Ed Hamrick for most images.  That might have
changed over time.  I haven't kept up with Vuescan for a couple of
years.  In the context of James' difficulties, I was trying to address
his concern that the "auto-everything" options still might not get an
acceptable image and it doesn't mean the program or scanner is broken.
Not really trying to say much about Vuescan other than that one way or
the other.

In one of the "whose is bigger" wars on the filmscanner list several
years ago, Vuescan and Silverfast were contrasted by a guy who said that
Vuescan was preferred by people who like to do most of the tasks in
Photoshop, whereas SF was more for the folks who like to make more
critical decisions prior to the scan.  The guy was the list owner and he
was trying to get people to quit arguing, so you can take his remarks
with a grain of salt, but it appears that Vuescan has come to rely less
and less on post-scan processing and has grown to be more like
Silverfast in many ways.  Ed Hamrick is a amazing man.

Joel W.